Thursday, June 4, 2020

J for Now

J for Now

         For the blog purposes and also in real life social media our newest kiddo goes by J. We left off the last post getting matched officially on April 3rd 2020. On this day his social worker told him there was a family that wanted him. (this makes me weepy still because no child should EVER feel unwanted :( but so many do!) On April 6th 2020 I got word that we could "meet" via face time so I rushed home from work to "meet" our newest kid (definitely not the most ideal way to meet but we worked with that due to Covid-19). We had a one hour call and he was way bigger than his video (had been posted for a year on heart gallery) The call went perfect and truly it was LOVE at first sight this is the message I emailed our APAC worker:


Hey just updating you we FaceTimed our J today. We got to talk for a whole hour. Love him already. We gave him a virtual tour of our house. Him and the girls chatted and asked each other questions. He told us about his siblings and he just wants to know when he gets to come here. ️ Best day ever.

     
     We had weekly phone calls that were limited to only 15 Minutes each time. I mailed him a package and sent photos so he could look at them. We were told that we could not do any visits due to Covid-19. Eventually we were told we could do a one day visit which had to take place before we could have a weekend visit to our house. 

  Our one day visit began on April 24, 2020 we drove to the small town Alabama city he was close to and rented an Airbnb for the night so that we could pick him up right at 8 am. The next morning all of our nerves in a bunch we drove over to pick him up! He climbed in the car and we were all still very nervous, but after 5 minutes we were all talking and it was completely fine! We played games and he built legos with Logan and the kids and we colored I knew for absolute certain this was the one it had been the one the whole time we went through our process. I know we were called to be his family. Here is the email update I sent the workers: 

Thank you for making a way. Our family enjoyed our time yesterday. J seemed to enjoy it too. We played uno and board games and then just let the kiddos hang out and chat it up. I don’t think a more perfect day could be had. We are all very eager to take the next step in the process. And again from the bottom of my heart thank you for making this happen! He fit in like he is already their brother and my kiddo. P (age 3) my youngest told A (13) and N (11) he is only her brother not theirs. We had some pics printed at Walgreens so that he could have those at the facility he took back. Here is what we took yesterday ️ (My heart is full and also sad to leave him.)

Amber

  I immediately asked to have our next visit scheduled and on May 1st we got to pick him up to come and stay for the weekend. That weekend went great and I asked right away for him to move in. The more we heard about the place he was having to live at the more I wanted him living with us ASAP plus I hated not hearing from him except once a week for 15 Min. Here is the email I sent after the weekend:

 J was taken back to the facility this morning. We enjoyed our 3 days with him and he has acclimated seemingly well. I am interested to see how he does this week upon returning. We have no reservations at this time and none for the foreseeable future. At this point I am wondering if we can anticipate/plan a move in date or plan to work towards. If we are not ready at this point to discuss that I would request possibly getting another visit scheduled and if possible a longer time frame (maybe a week of applicable) I would like to extend the bonding work we have already begun working towards integrating him into the family as soon as we can. He is fitting in well with our children and listening very well at anything we asked of him. He has expressed that he is ready to move in. I also realize maybe his school year is finishing up and we may have to wait that out so just looking for guidance and what can be expected. I pray you all are well. 

  We were shot down for the move in but they agreed for a week visit so from May 9th-17th he was at our house and it was perfect. While he was there I messaged asking to keep him and was told no but they did return with a Permanency plan and move in date of May 28th. Here is the email I sent following  that week: 

Per my usual just letting all of you know that our week was amazing. We hated dropping him off. He wants me to see if it’s possible to pick him Friday to Monday since he can’t move home till next Thursday the 28th. It’s a long drive but he is worth it. Thanks for all of your hard work with this transition we are so happy to have our moving in date. I told him it’s only ten more sleeps till forever and to be good. It’s so tough only hearing from him once a week. Four hugs before bedtime last night because he wanted so much to have it not be today.

Hope you all have a great week!!

We did have a weekend visit the weekend before move in and all in all I counted 8 Round trips 2.5 hours each way Worth.Every.Mile. On May 28th he got to move in with us and as of today it has been one week. This kiddo is awesome. Will share more about him in following posts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye Brother August 4, 2021

 The following post is going to be a rundown of things that happened to me following receiving the worst news I have ever received which was...